Stumbled across this article recently. Voices the frustrations (but ultimate relief!) that many parents & smart-but-struggling students face:
* we don’t under-interpret the data – we put that information to work! We know how to look for key patterns and have advanced knowledge of other conditions. Measures of reasoning ability and achievement become a gold mine!
* we follow up on important clues with advanced measures. In some jurisdictions, the “plain vanilla” learning assessment doesn’t qualify students for accommodations; in-depth follow-up is mandatory. We use those same stringent methods here. This sheds light on _why_ a student is struggling, not just documenting _where_ they are struggling. Examples of such advanced measures: tools to assess various types of memory, phonological processing, or executive functioning (planning & organization – the “boss” of the brain).
* we specialize in complex cases. We can tell the difference between LD, ADHD, both, or neither. Sometimes, a verbal memory problem presents as inattention. Only follow-up testing can tell for sure.
* our expertise in psychopharmacology helps make you an informed consumer. Although many are not keen on the idea of medication, we can give you a straightforward look at the options. Then, you can make an informed choice whether to seek or decline such intervention. Meds are not always the answer.
* we know what works & what offers a lot of hope but not much else. Unfortunately, some of the most popular “solutions” (the ones often touted on TV & the Internet) are flimsy sales pitches, not based in reality.
* we understand that schools and parents may not see eye-to-eye. Schools often complain that parents aren’t doing enough or little Johnny “isn’t living up to his potential.” Parents often complain that no one is listening to their concerns and feel they have nowhere to turn. Let us offer an alternative that puts kids first.
Give us a ring. Let us help you decide how to finally “get to the bottom of this.”